Sunday, June 3, 2012

Passing time... days 48-53... EEK!

Day 48 – Tuesday, May 29th – On Tuesday morning, my mom, Sofia and I woke up early to bring Sofia back to Los Pisingos (the orphanage) to get her vaccinations. It was so nice to go back. The first time we were there to pick up Sofia, I was so emotional and didn’t seem to look around. This time we got to see and talk to the people that work and volunteer there. We met a “substitute mom” who is a volunteer that takes a few of the babies to live at their house between the time that the baby either enters the orphanage or when the referral has been accepted until the time that the adoptive families come to be united with the baby. It is such an important part of the adoption process, but I can imagine how hard it would be for the substitute moms that get attached and then have to see the babies go to their new families. God bless all the substitute moms for their selflessness, kindness, and love they have for these children.  Sofia got her shot and we were off… we caught a taxi and headed back to Efrain’s.

The days are starting to mesh… I don’t remember what we did after Los Pisingos… All I remember is I was waiting for the call and it never came.

Day 49 – Wednesday, May 30th – Another low key day at Efrain’s. We didn’t have any plans, so my aunts Maria Teresa and Elvira come over after lunch to hang out. We talked all day until it was dark. (Have I mentioned that my Spanish has improved so much? I’m still having issues with the verbs and tenses, but I can get past that.) I love that I am able to get to know my aunts and other family so much better since I have been here so long.  I am anxious to get back home to be a family and get into a routine again, but on the other hand, it is so nice being able to be with my extended family here.

8th Week-
Day 50 – Thursday, May 31st – I’m in my eighth week with no call so far. Our fights are scheduled to leave Colombia today, so we had to cancel our flight and we will need to rebook when we know when we can leave. My anxiety has risen a bit since I know that Evan starts vacation on the 6th and I will not be there by then. My mom went to a homeopath and brought me some “magic drops” (at least that’s what I call them) to help keep me relaxed. The other thing that has helped is after talking to Perry, we have the first 2 weeks of vacation figured out with help from both grandpas. Hopefully we will be back in 3 weeks so we won’t have to worry about who’s going to be with Evan while Per is working. So Hakuna Matada (no worries) if it takes up to 2 more weeks, but after that, I can’t guarantee that I won’t get stressed again.  Fingers crossed that “The Process” will be less than 10 weeks all together in Colombia.

For lunch today we invited Elvira, Maria Teresa, and my cousin Felipe.  Now, I can say I’ve seen almost all of my family here in Colombia. I’m glad Felipe was able to come to meet Sofia. As always, she was her usual smiley, flirty self. She was so cute with Felipe. After lunch, Felipe brought the ladies to go play cards and I stayed home with Sofia.

Day 51 – Friday, June 1st – Hoping the call would come today, but no-go.
We had lunch at my cousin Maria Claudia’s house, hung out for quite a while, then went to Hacienda Santa Barbara for tinto/coffee. We were there until dark. We walked around with Sofia and spent a good amount of time with Maria Claudia, Beatriz and my mom.  (I saw that they teach Zumba there. I’m going to look into it and I might start going to class. We were saying if I am here too much longer – I might as well start teaching it here. J/K)

Day 52 – Saturday, June 2nd – Today, Perry is treating us to a stay at the Radisson, to have a change in scenery. He wanted us to stay for 5 days, but 1 night was good enough. Before we left, we invited Efrain to lunch. We went to Toro Burger on 140th again. It’s the 3rd time we’ve been there, but the meat is consistently good. After lunch we took a taxi and checked into the hotel at 3:00. The first thing we did is lay down on the beds with the super comfy pillows and turned on the TV. (It’s amazing how much a good pillow will make a difference in your comfort level!)  Ahhh… It felt wonderful!  At 6:00ish, my mom stayed in the room while Sofia was napping and I took advantage of the 2 free drinks in the bar. BLISS! This one-night-get-away was totally worth it! Thanks Per!!!!!

Day 53 – Sunday, June 3rd – I woke up this morning in heaven. I love the Radisson Bogota! I took a long, steamy hot shower for the first time in 2 months. It was….simply delicious! My mom, Sofia and I went to the hotel restaurant to have breakfast. They had EVERYTHING!!!! Typical Colombian things like empanadas, arepas, tomales, almohavanas, Caldo (a potato & meat soup with cilantro – sounds weird to eat soup for breakfast, but it was awesome!) and a huge variety of typical Colombian fruit. They also had the “regular” breakfast food like bacon, eggs made to order, waffles, all types of bread, etc.  Everything you could imagine for a breakfast buffet. After breakfast we hung out and played with Sofia in our comfy room. Checkout was at 1:00 and just before checkout we went to the lobby and met my second cousin, Alejandra, her son, Santiago, and Efrain. They came to pick us up to have lunch at Alejandra’s place. We had a nice time.

No comments:

Post a Comment