Wednesday, June 13, 2012

More Hurdles; Days 62 & 63


Day 62  - Tuesday,  June 12th-  Since yesterday was a holiday, today is the first day of the workweek. I received the name of a contact at the orphanage that I wanted to call to see if he knew where we are in the process and how much longer he thinks it might take. When I called, I pleaded my case and he gave me the name of another contact there that might be able to help me out. I then spoke with her, pleaded my case to her, and she gave me the same information that I already knew; (Hurdle #1) Unfortunately, we came at a time where there was an investigative show that uncovered some illegal adoptions out of Colombia many years ago. Because of that show, there were many spontaneous investigations at five of the major orphanages in Bogota, and unfortunately, Los Pisingos was one of those under investigation.  So now everything is being looked at with a fine tooth comb. That was the first to slow our process. (Hurdle #2) Our paperwork was in court and there was a certificate from our orphanage that had an expired date on it. The judge wouldn’t sign until the certificate was updated. The certificate was updated and the judge finally signed, but we are still waiting for one more signature from the Defender of Minors that has to review all of the paperwork and make sure everything is complete and legal. (On the upside: That’s a good thing so we don’t run into any problems later on.) The contact at the orphanage was able to get in touch with our lawyer and she said that we will probably get Sentencia this week as it is close to being done (apunto de salir). That’s great news that there is a light at the end of this very rainy, gray & dark weathered tunnel.

So I was hoping for a call today and I got just that. My contact called me later in the morning, but unfortunately it was with not so good news. She told me that there are protests in front of the courthouse today and tomorrow and the courthouse will be closed until Thursday. So (Hurdle #3) the protests have extended “The Process” another couple days. (What’s another couple days in the whole scheme of things??? It just gives me more time to be with my Colombian family.)

Later in the day, my mom’s cousin, Elena, invited many of my aunts and cousins over to her apartment for “onces” (like an afternoon brunch). Sofia was passed from arms to arms and they all enjoyed her presence. She is so good with everyone! She slept while we ate. We had a delicious quiche that tasted like Grandma Pat’s eggbake. We stayed until about 8:00 and got back to Efrain’s at about 8:30pm. When we got there, the door was locked and Efrain wasn’t hearing the doorbell (since he is usually in his room with the TV turned WAY up). We had to have the neighbor and my aunt call to get his attention to come down to open the door for us. Sofia was tired, had her te-te (bottle) and went right to sleep.

Day 63  -  Wednesday,  June 13th- Today was my day to hang out at home with Sofia and do nothing important. My mom went with her sister to spend the day walking, having lunch and hanging out at the mall. Before she left, she went to open her door to her room and it was locked. We searched all over for the key. I finally found the key but it didn’t open. The portero (neighborhood guard) came over and noticed that the window was open. He asked me if I wanted him to grab a ladder and climb through the window to open the door from the inside. He tried, but the door latch was broken, so he couldn’t open it from the inside either.  Before my mom left, she had called a locksmith to come. The locksmith came over and said the lock was damaged (as if I didn’t know that). What I didn’t know or understand was what he was telling me about the inner-workings of the door knob (in Spanish). I called my mom and had him talk to her on the phone. He was asking for 65,000 pesos ($32) to take off the door knob. I talked him down to 50,000 pesos which I thought was worth his time to come out to the house.  For the rest of the day, we watched TV in Efrain’s room while he was gone, I did laundry, I read, did a little packing (again wishful thinking). When Efrain came home, I told him about the door knob. He was mad that the portero called a locksmith that is more than 10 blocks away when there is a locksmith just around the corner. He was mad that the portero came through the window – from what I understood it was because he could’ve stolen something (there’s no trust with the employees and porteros). Efrain asked how much I paid the guy that came out and he was furious. He said that the man was a crook and that he took advantage of us (as women and gringos). I had the card of the guy that came and gave it to Efrain. When Efrain was looking at the door, he noticed a pair of glasses and asked if they were mine. Nope. They were the locksmith’s glasses. So Efrain took them, went to talk to the portero, went to the locksmith just down the street to ask about replacing the knob, and in the meantime the guy that was here earlier came back to get his glasses.  In front of the portero, Efrain was yelling at the guy saying that he is a crook for taking advantage of the situation, that the job should only cost 20,000 pesos for his time to come over & to take the door knob off (which I could’ve done the same thing), and Efrain said that if he didn’t give back 30,000 pesos, he was going to put his glasses on the ground and step on them. The guy gave Efrain 30,000 pesos and Efrain returned his glasses. When the guy left, the porteros were laughing at how Efrain was able to recoup some of the money and asked him how he could do that. Efrain said that through his 87 years, he has learned not to get taken advantage of by crooks. (And through other stories, never to pay full price for things – there’s always a way to barter a lower price.)

This situation was a good interruption to help pass the day. Hopefully tomorrow will be the big day when Sofia officially becomes part of our family. I’m praying for Sentencia and a quick return home.

Sofia’s new scream/cry/laugh face.


Dedos (fingers) means “I’m getting tired”.


Happy girl doesn’t stop moving J Not even for a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment